Car Accident FAQs

Car Accident Lawyer Serving Hamdem, New Haven & Beyond

What Does Connecticut Law Say About Accidents?

Car accidents are governed by an at-fault car insurance system in our state. Since Connecticut views the at-fault party to be the one responsible, the law says that this driver’s liability insurance will first and foremost be used to cover any damages caused to you. If you have underinsured motorist insurance, this may also be used to cover and remaining damages that the other driver’s insurance doesn’t cover.

Will I Have to Go to Court if I File a Claim?

Not necessarily. This depends on how the insurance company handles the matter. If the insurance company is willing to settle, then everything will be resolved outside of the courtroom. If not, then you may have to take them to court and resolve your dispute through a judge and jury. When you retain my counsel, I make sure to handle the entire legal burden so that you don’t have to.

What Should I Do Right After an Accident?

This is the question on most people’s minds after a collision. I explain thoroughly what you should and shouldn’t do after an accident on my page here: What to Do After a Car Accident. I encourage you to stay calm, gather as much evidence as possible, and get immediate medical attention. The sooner you talk to a lawyer about your case, the sooner you can protect your best interests following a collision.

Should I Release My Medical Bills to the Other Insurance Adjuster.

Absolutely not! You want to protect your case as much as possible. You should only ever sign a medical record release if you have discussed this situation with your Hamden & New Haven personal injury attorney and they approve of this step. Regardless, in most cases, it is best to keep your information private rather than hand over the other side such precious information.

What If the Other Driver Violated the Law?

In cases where the driver at fault was drinking and driving, talking on the phone, texting, or speeding, it likely means you have a stronger claim against them. If gross negligence was involved, you may even be able to recover punitive damages on top of general liability damages. This means that if the other driver was recklessly indifferent or intentionally violated your right to safety on the road, they may be liable for more than just compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other general expenses. Overall, when the other driver has violated any type of law, it can serve to strengthen your case.

The Accident Doesn’t Seem that Bad. Should I Call the Police?

Yes. If there is even a small amount of damage and injuries, having the police make a report about the collision can help ensure the other party doesn’t try to minimize or downplay their fault. A police report can serve as a key piece of evidence and officers may even be called as witnesses to describe the scene of the accident if necessary.

What Information Should I Make Sure to Take Down?

Aside from the general insurance information and contact information of the other driver, there are several other details you should try to write down. Get the contact information of any witnesses if possible and write down the name of any police officers that respond to the scene. You should also try to right down the location, date and time of the accident, description of the other vehicle, and any other pertinent details.

When Can the Other Driver Be Considered At Fault?

The other driver may obviously be at fault for a car accident if they were violating the law in any way. For example, speeding, DUI, and distracted driving are all common causes of auto accidents. Other instances that may make another driver at fault include running a red light, failure to maintain a vehicle, not signaling before changing lanes or making a turn, failing to check a blind spot, not adjusting speed to road conditions or weather, or any other act of negligent or reckless driving.

Can I Recover More Than Just Medical Bills?

Yes! In addition to your medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, therapy bills, and all other health-related costs, you can also recover compensation for lost wages, loss of future earning capacity, pain and suffering, disfigurement, emotional and mental distress, and any other out-of-pocket expenses you may have incurred. In addition, you can recover damages for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, loss of support, and other related costs when a wrongful death has resulted from a car accident.

Have more questions for a New Haven car accident attorney? Call my Hamden injury firm today: (203) 800-1697.

Tell Me the Story Behind the Injury

Request Your Free & Confidential Consultation

Type the above number:

Send My Message